26/04/2013

'Calorcito de los dioses': Valencia and The Expo

Calorcito de los dioses is a phrase that Marta, one of my students, tentatively tried to translate during one of our lessons, it means when the temperature is just right, like, perfect (for example, going inside on a cold day), her brother laughed when she said it and said 'jajaja, es una frase muy típica'. Either way, last week - and when I went to Valencia y Gandia - it was between about 25 - 30ºC, depending on when you went out, so it was just right, maybe even the perfect temperature in my opinion.

City of Arts and Sciences. Found on Google.

Valencia is on the coast, just over halfway down Spain, if you're looking at it on a map. It's famous for the City of Arts and Sciences, and being the home of paella. I was only actually in Valencia for a day, so when I realised my camera wasn't charged after I set off, I couldn't sort it out, so I don't have any of my own pictures to include, but it started to rain anyway so they wouldn't have been excellent/wouldn't have made you that jealous. Anyway, in Valencia, I walked along the park in the centre - there's a park which just cuts through the entirety of the city, it was once a river but it flooded the city once so they moved it, which it would appear is something you can do. At that point it started drizzling, so we went into the Torres de Serranos, which was one of the old entrances into the city, and it had a really good view of Valencia from the top, unfortunately I'm scared of heights and it took me about 20 minutes to get to the top, but even so. It's really cheap to go in too. Because we were in that area, we walked over to Valencia Cathedral, which is interesting too, and features the Holy Grail (quite a lot of people think it's the actual Holy Grail too - I'm not really sure where I stand on the matter), and an arm in a box. Seriously. Just go in for the arm in the box; sack off the audio tour because THERE'S AN ARM IN A BOX FROM THE 12TH CENTURY OR SOMETHING. I couldn't get over it. Then we went to the Science Museum and had a right laugh; it's in the City of Arts and Sciences, so the buildings are really impressive too. Just go to Valencia. Just go. It's good.

The Expo is an area of Zaragoza which was built for the 2008 Expo, which was about water (Zaragoza has the Ebro running through it, which is a huge river... well, huge-ish, it flows out to Barcelona). The site of the Expo has lots of massive, modern buildings and sculptures, and although it's a bit run-down -  the economic crash made original investors for the buildings pull out due to lack of funding, as they were going to move into the offices after the Expo had finished - it's still really interesting to walk around. And, as it was a sunny day, it was even better because, well, it was sunny.
The following are all pictures I took at the Expo (I took more, but these are the best ones...):





That's all for now, hasta luego. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment