25/02/2013

I went to Madrid and did nothing else with my life

Oh hey there, ¿qué tal?

Firstly I'd like to alert you all to the fact that I'm almost up to date with Glee, so that's alright and you can all stop worrying. It's proper kicking off on the programme though. Of course, that's not why you're here (although why you'd prefer to hear about my life instead of the inner workings of Glee, I have no idea...), and instead let me regale you with tales from my exciting life. 'Exciting' here meaning 'average going to uni, watching TV, rolling around on the floor shouting 'HELP I'M SO BORED', doing uni work (... sometimes), and going to Madrid for about 3 days.

Madrid is the capital of Spain, so obviously I had to go at some point. And also because el boyfriend   was going to watch something football-related (it was 'Man United v Real Madrid'. He says it was a 'good game' and that 'it was daunting celebrating the United goal in the Madrid end'. He equally '[wants] to be viewed as a mysterious character', but that's nothing to do with football).

Wikipedia - the greatest, most reliable information provider EVER - says that '[Madrid] is the third-largest city in the European Union, after London and Berlin, and its metropolitan area is the third-largest in the European Union after London and Paris', which is definitely interesting, and probably an essay topic for many a Spanish student the world over. Or not. I haven't a clue, no hablo español. Anyway, the Spanish royal family live(d?) there, I reckon it's the past tense, but then again, where else would they live? I have no idea; I'm only providing my opinion. They don't live in the palace though, although I only know that because I went in and had a look around. 



This is inside the palace, you're not allowed to take pictures. F-word the police.

We also were very very cultured and went to two art galleries - the Reina Sofía, and the del Prado. Fancy fancy fancy. The Reina Sofía is a more modern art gallery - it's the one with Picasso's Guernica in - and you're allowed to take photos and things, except not of the Guernica, alas. However, please enjoy some cultural diversions for a couple of seconds:
This is the entrance to the Reina Sofía
The boxes are part of a book sale, and the huge sculpture is by Roy Lichtenstein

Cubo de Nylon - Jesús Soto

This was part of a larger exhibition on Feminism, the images surrounding this one
focused on waitressing and submission to men. 

Spain is very Anti-Capitalist I've noticed. Although this is written in French.

If I can't include any Picasso, you can have some Dalí instead.

After those artistic musings, which I'm sure you very much appreciated (because I did - I can be quite a stereotypical English student, you know), we went to El Retiro, which is a massive park, and had a wander around/got a bit lost. There was another exhibition the Palacio de Cristal which is basically a very fancy greenhouse, and the exhibition was loads of string wrapped around the inside. Mental. We weren't expecting it, to be honest. And then we went in a rowing boat, because we're romantic as romantic things. Although I did most of the rowing, because I didn't get into the boat for romantic reasons. Just had a laugh rowing lol. 


This is the string wrapped around. It's called 'Two Golden Rings', by Jiří Kovanda.
Also I took this picture. A* GCSE Photography student, thank you.

This is me having a laugh in a boat. Look at that grin. Terrifying, truly terrifying.
The next day, we went to the Prado, which had much older paintings, and I had a bit of a look at pictures by the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: or literally just Raphael, and a student of Da Vinci, but we spent so long trying to remember their names that they deserve a mention. Anyway, because the paintings were so old, I couldn't take any pictures. 'WHY?!', I hear you cry in your masses. Well, dear readers, it's because the flash is too bright and something to do with acid. I did work experience in an art gallery in Year 10, which is why I remember about as much as I do of my Science GCSE: 'something to do with acid'.

After this (like directly after) we triumphantly returned to Zaragoza, powered by sour cream and chive Pringles (the best ones, if you're not in a Paprika mood, of course) and the man driving the bus back. 

That's it. That's my Madrid blog. It was good. I'll go back to whinging about uni from now on. 

2 comments:

  1. How did you end up in zaragoza? i'm half spanish, my family lives there i swear it's one of the most BORING cities in all spain!! Also, how do you communicate with people??? I don't know anyone who speaks -decent- english there

    ReplyDelete
  2. My university told me I couldn't go to France for a full year, so I came to Spain instead and the uni in Zaragoza was the only university they had a link with. :)

    ReplyDelete